Helderberg Primary School
Helderberg Primary School is an independent school, operated by and under the auspices of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in South Africa.
The Seventh-day Adventist church has a very specific theology and worldview, based on its understanding and interpretation of Scripture (the Holy Bible). The philosophy of the Adventist church is:
– comprehensive in its scope in the sense that it touches on all aspects of human activity, including the education of children.
– integrated in its focus, in that it rejects the notion that a childâ€™s education can be separated into a secular (state) and religious (church) components.
The above philosophical tenets have led the Seventh-day Adventist Church to establish a worldwide network of education institutions (from pre-school to university). All of these institutions are committed to finding ways and means to successfully integrate faith and learning.
Inasmuch as Helderberg Primary School identifies with the broad philosophical tenets mentioned above, it has formulated for itself the following religious policy:
Policy for Religious Education at Helderberg Primary School
1. Helderberg Primary School will admit all learners who wish to avail themselves of the comprehensive and integrated kind of education that Helderberg Primary School strives to give.
2. Helderberg Primary School will not discriminate in any way against learners who belong to other churches / religions other than the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
3. Helderberg Primary School will not attempt to â€śindoctrinateâ€ť learners who hold to different theological (religious) beliefs than what is generally accepted by the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
4. Helderberg Primary School will expect all learners to attend all compulsory school appointments. This includes the religious education classes (Bible classes) and also the weekly chapel appointments. Learners are also required to be present at the annual â€śWeek of Spiritual Emphasisâ€ť.
5. Helderberg Primary School will expect its educators to teach and interpret all subject matter from a Seventh-day Adventist philosophical and theological point of view. This will, however, be done in a sensitive manner that will not be offensive to learners who may hold to a different point of view.
6. Helderberg Primary School will ensure that the Bible classes form an integral part of the schoolâ€™s curriculum. Marks from classroom tests and assessments will not form part of the promotional requirements for learners.